Wednesday, September 28, 2011

1st book...one thousand gifts - Ch. 1

one thousand gifts, Ann Voskamp

I didn't know what to expect with the book. A friend recommended it to me awhile ago - but I hadn't so much as read the back cover. But it seemed to be the one that jumped off the shelf. If you are reading this...welcome to the book club! There are no rules in how this will go - I just hope to create a safe platform and open discussion - and so we begin.

A profound way to begin with the quote from Simone Weil, "Every sin is an attempt to fly from emptiness." I am reminded that we are created in God's image - leading me to believe that we were meant to be good. But until we figure that out - until we are restored back to Him - there is a void, that we all try to fill one of a hundred different ways.

So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them. ~Genesis 1:27


I like the tough place the book opens from...with tragedy and a question, Can there be a good God?

I think it is a question that needs wrestled, for at one moment or another perhaps we've all asked it. If God is all powerful, if God is in control, if God is good - why is there so much sickness and evil in the world?

I like the idea that she touches on that the material world is meant to be the means in which we communion with God. Do we really see it this way? That it is His intent to restore us to full glory - the way we were created to be - in His image - in the beginning. Sometimes when I'm overwhelmed by grief, stricken by tragedy or heartbreak - I am reminded, this is not how God created it in the beginning.

The kids from the youth center continue to be my inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment